With the right arsenal of shadows and strategic application, you can harness the piercing blueness of your gaze to make your eyes truly hypnotic. After all, there’s a reason why starlets like Jennifer Aniston wear colored contacts to achieve such a look. With your hue being less frequently seen than brown, your irises deserve to take center stage! Taking into account your skin and hair coloring, below are some ideas to spark your creativity.
1) Glow with oranges. Traditional orange is rarely celebrated and can be associated with masculinity. However, think about the many feminine shades that are available to you – peach, coral, bronze, copper, rust . . . The warmth of these pigments will contrast with your eye’s natural coolness, making orange a top pick for your lids. Many of the softer variations are perfect for the daytime, as they will be a subtle additive to your features.
2) Flirt with purples. You’d think blue eye shadow would make your eyes appear even bluer, but this combination will actually downplay your eye’s natural spark. Therefore, reach for purples instead. It will bring out your eye’s seductive iciness and yet will add a flirty touch that will complement your irises without being overly “matchy-matchy.”
3) Beiges and browns. Operating similarly to oranges, browns contrast the blue’s liquid-y coolness with earthy reddish undertones. Unlike blacks that, when used in large quantities, will dominate your eyes, shades like mocha, chocolate, sand and even nude will create a veil of depth and mystery. It’s best to purchase a multi-colored palette so you can blend various tints instead of having a uniform sweep of shadow across the lid.
4) Sparkle with metallic. Unlike with brown eyes, people with blue peepers should err on the side of restraint when applying eye shadow colors; with your irises naturally being so vibrant, anything that rivals them is a step backwards. With this in mind, metallic shadows enable blue-eyed beauties to play with bold looks. Gold and silver alike will bring out your sparkle, especially when stepping out for a fancy night out.
5) Take cues from Cleopatra. Another way ladies with blue eyes can enhance their appearance is through the famous “cat eye” style. The simple addition of the wing provides an alluring touch without having to layer on one heavy pigment after the next; this allows women with blue peepers to balance seductiveness with understated coloring on their lids in order to have the best of both worlds. It’s no wonder that it’s a favorite for fashion leaders like Zooey Deschanel and Amanda Seyfried.
6) Steer clear of red lips. With your gaze’s cool tints, fiery lips will be the complete opposite. What’s more, people’s line of sight tends to be drawn towards red more than any other color, promising that your lovely peepers will serve a supporting role. If this is a fact that you are OK with, take your style cues from Taylor Swift in regards to rocking a rouged pucker: keep all other colors on your face minimal, and wear a monochromatic outfit of either white, neutral or dark tones.
7) Have clean brows. Scraggily eyebrow hairs can detract from any face, but this is especially true for ladies with fairer irises. Your brows will add a lovely sense of drama to your face and, often being darker than your eyes, can be quite a distraction if they are messy. Therefore, make sure you have a routine grooming practice in place, and don’t be afraid to experiment with pencils and brow powders!