Caring for your soft contact lenses is easier than ever. One-bottle care systems and disposable contact lenses mean that comprehensive lens care involves much less time, money, and trouble than it did just a few years ago. Each pair of lenses has unique needs, and you should follow the regimen prescribed by your eye doctor. Some products don’t mix well, or will ruin certain lenses. Don’t switch to a new regimen without your doctor’s approval. With that in mind, here are the basic steps for soft contact lens care.
1. Wash your hands. This keeps dirt and germs out of your eyes! Avoid moisturizing soaps, as they can stain lenses. Dry your hands with a lint-free towel.
2. Remove one lens and clean it with the recommended solution. Cleaning removes mineral deposits, cosmetics, and other debris to keep your lenses clear, comfortable and safe. The FDA recommends that you rub the lens in the palm of your hand with a few drops of solution, even if you are using a "no-rub" product.
3. Rinse the lens again to remove the loosened debris, making sure to take as long as the package directs. This is a very important step.
4. Place the lens in your clean lens case and fill with fresh solution. Don’t top-up your old solution. Fresh solution will sterilize the lens. Disinfection time varies by brand; check the package for details.
5. Repeat steps 2 – 4 for your other lens.